FAQs about RA 6969 “Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Waste Control Act of 1990”
Source: DAO 2013-22
- What is a Hazardous Waste Manifest? It is the hazardous waste tracking system through a receiving and shipping documentation and certification process, following the “cradle to cradle” cycle of hazardous waste management.
- What is the Online Hazardous Waste Manifest System? it is the online tracking and database system for real-time tracking of the wastes from the point of generation to the point of ultimate treatment, storage or disposal; and for the timely and easy access of hazardous waste management information.
- How do I register using the Online Hazardous Waste Management System (HWMS)? Before the applicant or client submits for processing its Hazardous Waste Registration (Generator, Transporters, and TSD), Permit to Transport and Manifest applications, the system requires prior company profile registration through https://iis.emb.gov.ph/crs effective June 1, 2020. The User’s Manual is accessible and can be downloaded through the link.
FAQs on Environmental Impact Assessment
Source: DAO 2003-30
- What is a Certificate of Non-Coverage (CNC)? It is a certification issued by the EMB certifying that, based on the submitted project description, the project is not covered by the EIS System and is not required to secure an ECC.
- What is an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC)? It is a document issued by the DENR/EMB after a positive review of an ECC application, certifying that based on the representations of the proponent, the proposed project or undertaking will not cause significant negative environmental impact.The ECC also certifies that the proponent has complied with all the requirements of the EIS System and has committed to implement its approved Environmental Management Plan.
The ECC contains specific measures and conditions that the project proponent has to undertake before and during the operation of a project, and in some cases, during the project’s abandonment phase to mitigate identified environmental impacts.
- What is Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)? It is a process that involves evaluating and predicting the likely impacts of a project (including cumulative impacts) on the environment during construction, commissioning, operation and abandonment. It also includes designing appropriate preventive, mitigating and enhancement measures addressing these consequences to protect the environment and the community’s welfare.The process is undertaken by, among others, the project proponent and/or EIA Consultant, EMB, a Review Committee, affected communities and other stakeholders.
- What is an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)? It is a document, prepared and submitted by the project proponent and/or EIA Consultant that serves as an application for an ECC.
It is a comprehensive study of the significant impacts of a project on the environment. It includes an Environmental Management Plan/Program that the proponent will fund and implement to protect the environment
- What is an Environmentally Critical Area(ECA)? An area delineated as environmentally sensitive such that significant environmental impacts are expected if certain types of proposed projects or programs are located, developed or implemented in it.
- What is an Environmentally Critical Project (ECP)? It is a project or program that has high potential for significant negative environmental impact.